[Zope] Apache virtual host combined with Zope

Andy Gimblett andy.gimblett@ftech.net
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 15:45:57 +0100

> I don't know about FastCGI, but mod_pcgi2 can handle
> entire tree (Zope serves root of a virtual host) or
> subtree (Zope serves subdirectory of a site) without any
> special hacks.

Yeah, so can ProxyPass.

>    What exactly is your problem?

Well, I just don't know how it's done. I must confess that I
haven't investigated this too far, maybe with some reading
about the syntax of Apache's FastCGI directive I could find
the answer.

To use FastCGI to serve a virtual, I'd have the vitual defined
in my httpd.conf something like this:

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
    ServerAdmin gimbo@ftech.net
    ServerName foo.bar.com
    ErrorLog logs/foo_error.log
    CustomLog logs/foo_access.log common

    FastCgiExternalServer /usr/local/apache/htdocs/foo \
                          -host localhost:8889 \
                          -pass-header Authorization
    SetHandler fastcgi-script
</VirtualHost>

Looking at that, I can't see any way to tell it to pass the
request to a subdirectory of the Zope tree being served up by
the ZServer listening on 8889. So the effect is that foo.bar.com
is a virtual for the entire Zope tree instead. Which is fine if
that's what you want, but not if you want to serve subtrees.

As I say, maybe there's another parameter to FastCgiExternalServer
which does it, but I haven't found it. I haven't looked too hard,
either, mind. ;-)

-Andy

--
Andy Gimblett <andy.gimblett@ftech.net> Programmer