[Zope] ACS data schemas with Zope presentation

Fred Yankowski fred@ontosys.com
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:42:18 -0500

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 07:45:49AM +1000, Albert Langer wrote:
> There's nothing much that could or should be "ported" in
> the OpenACS Tcl. All DC needs to do is standardize
> python/Zope interfaces to the underlying SQL engine
> (I don't mean DAs to the database engine, but a Zopish
> replacement, not port, for the fairly thin layers done
> in Tcl).

At last, an actionable statement.  (I've long been intrigued about
using the ACS data model from a Zope front end, but all the whinging
on this thread is enough to sour one on the idea.)

Although I messed around with ACS3 a while back, I don't understand
the scope of what you mean by "the fairly thin layers" that need to be
standardized.  Could you refer to some specific Tcl code in the ACS
core that encompasses this layer.

I'm currently doing some simple community websites using Zope and I've
borrowed from ACS to build "user" schemas (in PostgreSQL) that
underlie a LoginManager front end.  It's tempting to move on from that
basis and build additional features into the sites using a similar
scheme of Zope front-end to ACS data, and I'd like to explore Albert's
idea of an interface layer as opposed to direct Z SQL Method access of
the data.

--
Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370