[Zope] RE: Cascading Style Sheets in Netscape 6

John Lawson johnl@taynet.co.uk
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 20:32:28 +0100

Thomas B. Passin wrote;
>If the html you sent is exactly what NS6 is seeing, no wonder it doesn't
>work.  It is invalid html.  You have a second <html> document including its
>own DOCTYPE and head element,
>at the end of the main html document.  The wonder is that it every worked.
>Fix up your html first, get it working without style sheets or javascript,
>then add in a simple style sheet and get it working.

>Then you can try to create the real style sheet you want.

The intranet site Craig Stoddart has described incorporates HTML documents
created with StarOffice, which automatically creates its own HTML, DOCTYPE
and Head elements. The problem is not unique to StarOffice - most other HTML
editing tools will cause similar problems.

When the HTML document is wrapped up with standard_html_header and
standard_html_footer, the problem being experienced by Craig will appear.

If Craig deletes the superflous HTML elements (HEAD etc...) from the
StarOffice document , they will re-appear the next time the document is
updated via StarOffice.

I think the answer is to write a dtml or Python method which will only
display the HTML be displayed in the browser ie between the <BODY> and
</BODY> tag.

Although I think this is the answer, I am not sure how to achieve it. Has
anyone else written similar code?

John Lawson