[Zope] Zope support through the community: sorting

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:08:59 -0400

> I feel your words like the neverending discussion between windoze and
> unixes ......my opinion is that if you want to do powerful things  you
> need , or you have to develop, powerful stuff. Personally i come from
> the database world where things like sorting are very important. And
> where is the complexity? If you don't need that feature, simply don't
> use it. If with your words you mean the complexity of the code, i'm sure
> that most people said "zope is too complex" when the accompainig
> documentation was too old to be useful and when the source code wasn't
> commented a lot ...but it's one issue for many open source projects, not
> only for zope...I don't think other projects stops introducing new
> features in that situation, especially when they are really useful as
> the Oleg's one
>
> I think that's  more difficult to find an application where a powerful
> sort doesn't help. :-)

I am not arguing the requirement or the usefulness of what
Oleg has done, I'm arguing the proposed implementation.

For those who are following this thread, I've added a comment
to the proposal with an idea that I think may be a good
solution that could make everyone happy:

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/ExtendedDTMLSorting

If not then we'll go back to the drawing board, but this is
what the Fishbowl is _for_ folks. It is for providing an open
forum for everyone interested to champion their agendas and
to come to sound, well thought out (and sometimes well argued)
decisions. And it usually works, which is what makes it worth
all of these black eyes and lumps on my head... :)

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909