[Zope] zope rant

matt matt@virtualspectator.com
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:26:32 +1200

Seems very misguided, and I think perhaps he is just very confused.  For one
thing putting ZClasses and Zope Products in the same category dosen't make
sense to me.  I tend to write a lot of Zope products as python modules and with
that I get grep, I get CVS, I get test suites ... in fact there are tutorials
around somewhere that show you how to run ZPublisher for debugging, it's an
easy step to build the test suite around that.  Next the talk about "Much of the
application ends up as DTML" ???  that goes against most people's Zope
philosophy, where DTML is a presentation layer ..... if you are writing your
application in DTML and it works then well done!! but I wouldn't want to debug
it.  There is also this confusion with "dynamic scope", one of the most
fantastic things about Zope is implicit acquisition.  Sure it takes a bit to
get a feeling for, but once you are there you start to organise your hierachies
of attributes and methods into an environment that makes sense, and which is
very powerful.  If he is trying to build as they say "complicated objects",
then through-the-web DTML is not really what they should be trying to do.
Writing a python product would be the more obvious path.  And if he/she finds
editing in a Netscape text box so horrible for dtml and PythonMethods, then
perhaps they could use their favourite editor and the nice FTP server that Zope
comes with ... :-)

Matt