[Zope] Another question about LoginManager (or similar products)

Andrew Athan aathan-zope-list%REMOVEME@memeplex.com
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:12:51 -0400

Lars:

No, in fact LoginManager is a way to store -any- user's information for
Zope.  This includes administrators as well as regular users.  The idea is
that LoginManager hands Zope a user & roles, and then Zope uses that user &
roles in its standard authorization processing.  If the roles returned
include "Manager" for example, then Zope gives that user administrator
privs.

The idea is to define a role which is useful to you e.g. "Authorized" and
then set up the pages in your site so that only "Authorized" users and
"Managers" can see them.  You give permission to read pages by "Anonymous"
only to pages like the login page that you don't need to protect (myself, I
modified LoginManager to return the LoggingInUser and LoggingIn role for
login, but whatever).  LoginManager is then used (w/ your database) to
authenticate users and return the right role.  In my case, I cause a
redirect to be returned whenever a non-authorized user is trying to access
the site, and LoginManager returns LoggingInUser/LoggingIn for any request
to pages that have to do with logging in.

A.