[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] Threads Optimizing Linux.

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:58:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Aitor Grajal Crespo wrote:
> In Linux, I have Zope running with 4 Threads. I have five processes and everyone consuming about 12 MB => 12 * 5 MB = 60 MB
>
> In Windows in the same situation I only have one process and the threads share the memory, which is the most desirable situation.
>
> Why?? Does anybody know a solution for Linux, in order to have only one process and threads sharing memory, as in Windows??

I'm sorry, I just can't resist:  upgrade to FreeBSD <grin>.

Seriously, under Linux for some reason separate threads have separate
PIDs, and top and its bretheren show the full memory compliment for each
PID, yet they actually share the memory.  Under FreeBSD the separate
threads do *not* show up as separate PIDs, so things look normal.
But in either case, things are actually working the way you want
them to.

(NB: I'm not on the main zope mailing list, but I've paired zope-dev off
the list as this is more of a 'zope' question than a 'zope-dev' question,
and as the message footers all say, crossposting between the two lists
is highly discouraged.)

--RDM