[Zope] Organizing resources (was: Forking the Mailing List)

Ben Peter Ben.Peter@t-online.de
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 06:43:06 +0200

All,

in the recent posts about forking the mailing list, several have suggested
that it would make more sense (or that it would _also_ make sense) to make
the informational resources accumulated on the list and elsewhere more
accessible.

Just some thoughts on this, although I certainly have no overall concept
in mind that would do:

- I firmly believe that with a well-accessible and organized pool of pre-
  answered questions the load on the list would dramatically reduce.

  While it is true that much of what is asked here by newbies
  (including me) could be answered by reading documentation, it still
  seems that there is a set of commonn questions and problems  that
  remain for many. I am sure many others do not bother to subscribe
  to the list and ask, so it would not only be a favor to the list,
  but also to many other users to set up a, well, it should be no
  more than a well-organized FAQ.

- The HowTos on zope.org are often very helpful. Yet, with about 150 of
  them to be searched and many of them available in all HowTo sections,
  it is often not easy to find the appropriate one.
  A system that allows other users to voice a 'helped', 'didn't help' or
  'Wrong HowTo' (I think I've seen this at the Microsoft website?) would
  probably help to bring the really good HowTos to the people.

- There are probably better systems for that, and most likely the current
  zope.org HowTos will not be able to cover that.

Cheers,
Ben

--
Ben Peter - Feldstrasse 8 - 35091 Coelbe
      Ben.Peter@t-online.de