[Zope] asp request and response objects

David Kovach dave@kovach.com
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:19:33 -0500

Thanks Tom and Tino.

I do believe that Zope and Python is a fantastic combination
for building web based applications and systems.

I agree that a new way of thinking is required to go to a
complete OO web development mentality. I found myself taking
2 hours to figure out to RE-CONSTRUCT a folder to store IMAGES
and then give pages outside that FOLDER access to them for
display... Typical images folder you see with sites...

This alone - when you have zo-db behind you doesnt make sense
to structure your applications the same old way. Everything
is an object - everything stands on its own. Then its just
a matter of structuring your directories for complete productivity
purposes at higher/broader level or keeping things really flat.

ASP - leaves you limited to how you can approach a problem.
Its easier to learn because of this. But, in the end makes
for very UN-ELO-QUENT solutions. Zope is more impressive in
terms of not just focusing on mundane things, but really
going behind 2 or 3 core objects and making the web application
world really open up!

I like that phrase - 'developement "the zope way"' - would look
good on a tee-shirt?

Has anyone put any effort into a resource that documents the
bullet points of what that means - developement "the zope way"?

I would be willing to do so - to really point out to other
developers (ASP etc.) Why Zope rocks and __blank__ doesnt!
We could fairly deep into it - not just high level reasons
why its better... Just a thought.

The thing I find the clunkiest (though it works flawlessly
and makes good intuitive sense) is the management interface.
Would be better as a rich gui. This work is going on isnt it
already?

Thanks

David Kovach
dave@kovach.com