[Zope] Debian zope2.3.1 installation powerpc

Philipp von Weitershausen philikon@gmx.net
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:37:51 +0200

On Wednesday 25 April 2001 07:59, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 basicprinting@earthlink.net wrote:
> > I downloaded http://mwr.ddts.net/a/mwr/zope_2.3.1-1_i386.deb
> > then tried to install it.
> >
> >       ~# dpkg -i /home/someuser/zope_2.3.1-1_i386.deb
> >
> >       dpkg :  error
> >       package architecture (i386) does not match system (powerpc)
> >
> > So python byte-code is NOT cross architecture?
>
> According to the Python tutorial it is platform independent.

Python code is platform independent. But the parts of Zope that are depending
on good performance are written in C, thus you will have to get the source
code of Zope.
That is really no problem, I've done it a thousand times. But the python
1.5.2 debian powerpc package seems to be broken, so Zope won't compile. I
suggest, get Python 2.0 or 2.1 from source code and compile that yourself as
well. Try to avoid ActivePython from ActiveState. That one didn't compile on
my G3.

Cheers,

Phil.

--