[Zope] running multiple Zopes behind Appache

Jason Byron jason_zope@yahoo.com
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:16:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jason Cunliffe <jasonic@nomadicsltd.com> wrote:
> Topic:  I want to transfer work between two Zopes
> [2.2.5 -> 2.3.1] while
> both are running, using cut'n'paste, and also
> export/import .zexp files.
>
> Problem: How do I run both Zopes at the same time
> behind Appache
>
> Configuration:
> I am runing Zope2.3.1 on port:8888 = > Works fine
> I now want to run the old  Zope 2.2.5 on port:88
>
> Appache includes in its list of virtual servers:
>
> Handles the name-based server http://www.e-turb.com
> on address 64.7.41.100.
> Address 64.7.41.100
> Port 80 Server Name http://www.e-turb.com
> Document Root /web/eturb/www/
>
> Zope has Site Access intalled with a site root
> instance.
> Appache has this directive set for the site's
> Virtual Host:
>
> DocumentRoot /web/eturb/www/
> ServerName http://www.e-turb.com
> ProxyPass /zope http://www.e-turb.com:8888/
> ProxyPassReverse /zope http://www.e-turb.com:8888/
> ProxyPass /misc_ http://www.e-turb.com:8888/misc_
> ProxyPass /p_ http://www.e-turb.com:8888/p_
>
> Works nicely when I run only zope on port 8888
>
> When I try to run a zecond Zope on port 88 I get an
> error"
>
> error:
>
> [root@colocate05 Zope-eturb]# Traceback (innermost
> last):
>   File "/web/Zope-eturb/z2.py", line 634, in ?
>     logger_object=lg)
>   File "/web/Zope-eturb/ZServer/FTPServer.py", line
> 622, in __init__
>     apply(ftp_server.__init__, (self, None) + args,
> kw)
>   File
> "/web/Zope-eturb/ZServer/medusa/ftp_server.py", line
> 725, in __init__
>     self.bind ((self.ip, self.port))
>   File "/web/Zope-eturb/ZServer/medusa/asyncore.py",
> line 242, in bind
>     return self.socket.bind (addr)
> socket.error: (98, 'Address already in use')
>
> ...So I tried adding thes four lines into the
> directiev aboev to cover Zope
> on both potrts: 8888 and 88
>
> ProxyPass /zope225 http://www.e-turb.com:88/
> ProxyPassReverse /zope225 http://www.e-turb.com:88/
> ProxyPass /misc_ http://www.e-turb.com:88/misc_
> ProxyPass /p_ http://www.e-turb.com:88/p_
>
> wrong. I still get the same error above, with or
> without the ProxyPass
> lines.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> - Jason

The error is from zope detecting that port 88 is in
use.  Use 'netstat -a' (on unix) to make sure nothing
else is using that port.

try setting it to a different port.

Is there some reason you absolutely need to setup the
proxy pass in apache?  The main goal in that would be
to have to different domains.

like:

> ServerName http://www.e-turb.com
> ProxyPass /zope http://www.e-turb.com:8888/

> ServerName http://www.someotherdomain.com
> ProxyPass /zope http://www.e-turb.com:88/

if all you are doing is copying stuff over then just
use the port number in your url.  No need to use
proxy pass.

http://www.e-turb.com:88/