[Zope] Large data.fs (just the Faqs)

marc lindahl marc@bowery.com
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 10:19:41 -0400

> From: Takashi Linzbichler <takashi.linzbichler@smartferret.com>

> you could use ext2 as well since its fully LFS-compliant. ext2 itself
> was never the problem, but (as someone had already pointed out in here)
> the VFS-layer in Linux (which was heavily influenced by
> i386-architecture -> 32bit).

Reading your reference, it looks like SuSe has added LFS recently, but I
don't see that RedHat has it (checking the redhat site, only mentions that
glibc supports it, and I know from experience that with the standard
installation, it doesn't, with 7.0 or 7.1).

> But you should not mix up systems with LFS (large file support) an such
> withpout (e.g. Linux 2.2.). The 2.2 based System will be able to read
> from large files, but nothing  more.

>From my point of view - I'm not going to modify the makefiles of everything
and recompile it, from bash on up, so it's an academic distinction, given my
platforms (i386 and ppc).

So, currently, 'out of the box', SuSe is good, I believe someone else
mentioned debian as well.  For redhat, you need an alternative (XFS was
painless for me).