[Zope] Starting zope from a python script

Chris Keyes chrisk@nipltd.com
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:16:01 +0100

Hi All...

I'm trying to write a Python script to control zope, basically it creates
the instance home etc and so on and then fires up zope, checks for z2.pid
and then prods zope and does some things to it...

Thats all ok, fine etc... but I am writing a script that reverses the
process if anything fails (it should never fail, but while I'm looking after
it, things will inevitably go wrong) so...

I want to be able to kill the Zope processes... Simple me thinks, I am using
a -u to set the user so I can kill all the threads belonging to that user
and the thing will die?? No, not quiet, the process that started the Zope
instance keeps restarting it (most of the time this sounds like a great
option but...)

So I want to keep hold of the parent process ID so I can kill that, I think
something like os.spawnv will let me do it, but it doesn't work under Linux
:-( seems to be doze only...

Anyone got any good ideas how to do this... I've just thought I can follow
the parent PID links back from the user process, so that would be one way...
Will go and try that, if anyone has any better (neater?) solutions I'd be
grateful...

Cheers

Chris K