[Zope] Zope 2.4 on Red Hat Linux access/security wierdness

Francis Potter francis@helium.com
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 15:34:20 -0700

Hi there!

I hope someone can help with this wierdness. I'm experienced with Zope
but a Linux newbie, and I suspect that it's a Linux problem, or maybe
not.

I'm running Zope 2.4 on Red Hat 7.1. If I work with Zope on the Linux
box, everything works great. When I work on it from a Windows box,
everything works great for about 10-15 minutes. Then all of a sudden it
won't respond to requests at all (times out waiting for a response). The
catch is, if I go back to the Linux box and hit the server again from
the browser there, then I can access it from the Windows box again no
problem. In other words, I have to hit Zope from a browser on the local
machine every few minutes in order to be able to use it from another
machine! Obviously this isn't very good once the system comes out of
development.

Is this a Zope problem or a Linux security problem, or both?

How do I fix it? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Obviously there's a hack, to write a little script to hit the server
every minute or two from the local machine using http, but this doesn't
seem like it ought to be necessary.

--- Francis Potter
--- francis@helium.com
--- desk +1 (415) 826 3646