[Zope] can one pass values through the 'action' property?

Tommy Johnson tommy@7x.com
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:24:36 -0800

Albert,

I wouldn't say that there is a "right" way of doing it. Personally, I would
prefer passing the variables in the REQUEST object rather that using
Session. I've always used hidden fields, but I have on occassion passed it
through the action property. Like I said, in ASP and ColdFusion it worked
fine. If I use hidden fields, I always put them right before the submit
button, that way I and all other developers who view my code will know
exactly where to go to see hidden fields. I have also seen people who will
always put them right after the opening <form> tag. That's a good idea also.

Florent,

Ok, if it works in Coldfusion and ASP, then there isn't a problem with
1. My browser
2. HTTP spec
3. Development language

But if, now, I try to do the exact same thing in Zope, and it doesn't work,
then how could you NOT say that it isn't a Zope problem? I'm not totally
assuming that Zope is the problem, (assumptions can be deadly), but if it
has worked before, and doesn't work now with a new development language,
then where is the first place one should look?

I'd be interested in input from developers who may have done this in PHP or
other languages. If it also works in them....

The only thing that I can think of is if Zope parses differently from other
languages. Meaning that if you choose to pass variables through the action
property, then you MUST use Get rather than Post. In the other languages it
didn't matter, but with Zope, it could potentially matter. I'll test it and
write back.

Just my 2 cents,
Tommy

Innovation: