[Zope] IE problems with Zope Solaris binary?

Irene Barg ibarg@as.arizona.edu
Mon, 06 Aug 2001 14:57:45 -0700

Dieter,

I can't try TCPWatch or webdebug because they both require
Python threads.  I don't have root privilge on this system
and the Python version running is 1.5.2 without threads.
I had thought that the Python library that came with Zope
was self-contained?

When I downloaded the Zope Solaris binary, I placed the
required Zope modules I needed in my PYTHONPATH directory,
then edited the Zope "start" script to read:

nickel% pwd
/home/barg/Zope-2.3.2-solaris-2.6-sparc
nickel% more start
#! /bin/sh
PYTHONPATH=.:/home/barg/zope/lib/python1.5/site-packages:/home/barg/pymodules
export PYTHONPATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:/home/barg/mysql/lib/mysql
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
reldir=`dirname $0`
PYTHONHOME=`cd $reldir; pwd`
export PYTHONHOME
exec /home/barg/Zope-2.3.2-solaris-2.6-sparc/bin/python \
     $PYTHONHOME/z2.py \
     -u barg "$@"

Assuming that the Python built with Zope had threads.
Per your suggestion, I restarted it with STUPID_LOG_FILE
and with debugging turned on.  Re-issued the same Update
request and noticed that I now have a 'core' file with
the same time stamp as my last request, but the Zope.log
doesn't give me any more info than that at startup:

nickel% tail var/Zope.log

nickel% tail var/Zope.log
2001-08-06T21:41:34 INFO(0) ZServer HTTP server started at Mon Aug  6
14:41:34 2001
        Hostname: nickel.as.arizona.edu
        Port: 8080
------
2001-08-06T21:41:34 INFO(0) ZServer FTP server started at Mon Aug  6
14:41:34 2001
        Hostname: nickel.as.arizona.edu
        Port: 8021
------
2001-08-06T21:41:34 INFO(0) ZServer PCGI Server started at Mon Aug  6
14:41:34 2001
        Unix socket:
/home/barg/Zope-2.3.2-solaris-2.6-sparc/var/pcgi.soc

BTW, I develop on a my Toshiba notebook, running Linux,
Python 2.0 and Zope 2.3.2 built from source.  I do not see
this problem using it as the Zope server, coming from IE
on the PC.  I guess I'll have to install my own version
of Python (with threads), and try to compile Zope on my Solaris system.
This concerns me a little because the gcc compiler is not on my Sun
system either. oh well :-(

I appreciate your input.
Cheers, irene barg

..

Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Irene Barg writes:
>  > ....
>  > but when they actually try to 'Submit' an
>  >
>  > update, they get the infamous IE page saying:
>  >
>  > This page cannot be displayed.
>  > The page your are looking for is currently unavailable.  The Web site
>  > might be experiencing technical difficulties, or your may need to adjust
>  >
>  > your browser settings. .....
>  >
>  > Now, what "should" happen is, when they press the 'Submit' button,
>  > a DTML method is called (using method="POST"), this method calls
>  > some Python scripts, a ZSQL method, then sends a reply to the client's
>  > browser.  Of course this never happens on a PC running IE or Nescape
>  > 4.7.
>  > I do not see this behavior if I come into my Zope site from another Sun
>  > workstation
>  > in my office (using Netscape 4.7), but I can go down the hall and get
>  > the same
>  > error on a PC running Windows 2000 and IE.  Can anyone tell me what may
>  > be going on, or how I can go about debugging this?
> Shane's TCPWatch utility (or any other TCPLogger) may help you
> to see precisely what happens and what the difference between
> the two constellations is.
>
> BTW, does your Zope die when you see this error
> (you should have enabled logging with "STUPID_LOG_FILE=logfile"
> and check the logfile). If so, you may have a core dump
> or an error indication in the log file.
>
> Dieter

Irene Barg		      Email:  ibarg@as.arizona.edu
Steward Observatory	      Phone:  520-621-2602
933 N. Cherry Ave.
University of Arizona	      FAX:    520-621-1891
Tucson, AZ  85721	      http://nickel.as.arizona.edu/~barg