[Zope] Backup Zope once a day

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 18:08:50 +0200

Hi Gitte,

--On Freitag, 10. August 2001 15:02 +0200 Gitte Wange <gitte@babytux.dk> wrote:

> On Friday 10 August 2001 14:51, you wrote:
>> Hi Gitte,
>>
>> 	I'm not sure you really need to! Are you concerned about backing up
>> Data.fs in the middle of a write? Because of the way FileStorage works
>> objects are added to the end, the worst case is that you'd lose the last
>> transaction. However, to be squeaky clean, you could:
>>
>> stop Zope
>> restart Zope in "readonly" mode (./start -r)
>> backup
>> stop Zope
>> restart Zope in "read/write" mode.
>>
>> -steve
>
> Well .... last night I tried to create a tarball from the zope-dir while Zope
> was running .. and someone accessed our website (Data.fs changed I guess) and
> tar exited with an error. When I stopped Zope and created the tarball
> everything went fine ...

This is specific of the tar. Zope does not care if you open the file for
reading in the middle of the write.

One solution would be a copy of (at least Data.fs) into another directory
and backup of this.

Since I change my zope via CVS, I only have to backup Data.fs
(The CVS repository gets backed up otherwise)

HTH
Tino Wildenhain