[Zope] Accessing Dictionary Values with URL Traversal

Thomas Guettler Thomas Guettler <thomas@thomas-guettler.de>
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:26:39 +0200

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 11:05:39AM +0200, Peter Bengtsson wrote:
> It's a "big" and non-intuitive idea.
> Can you please take a few examples of who this could be useful, and much
> better than the ObjectManager.

OK, I try to advertise my idea. If accessing hashes with URL-Traversal
would be possible you could define several hashes. An ObjektManager
can only have one collection of subclasses.

class MyClass:
  myDict={
   "foo": "<html> bar </html>",
   "dtml": DTMLFile("foo.dtml")
  }
  myDict2={
   "foo": SomeClass(),
   ...}

 could be accessed like this:
http://localhost:8080/myClassObject/myDict/foo
 --> <html> bar </html>
http://localhost:8080/myClassObject/myDict/dtml
 --> foo.dtml

If you want to do this with ObjektManagers you need two.  First the
ObjectManager containing myDict and myDict2 which need to be
ObjektManagers again.

You can live without it, too. But I think it worth thinking about.

--
Open Source Software Solutions
Thomas Guettler <thomas@thomas-guettler.de>