[Zope] Ruling from the bench regarding 'Hotfixes' :)

Ron Bickers rbickers-dated-999283324.ab7bbb@logicetc.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:42:03 -0400

> > From: "Brian Lloyd" <brian.lloyd@zope.com>
> >
> > Shane's Reload product is an example of a product that added
> > functionality to existing objects. It happened to take a "monkey
> > patch" approach but it is definitely not a "hotfix". The fact

My SSLAbsoluteURL is another example.  It modifies the behavior of
absolute_url, but I never considered it anything but a product.  At one
point, SiteAccess used monkey patches as well.

> - already
> the user (product building) community has interpreted the word 'hotfix'
> differently than ZC has intended...

I wonder how many have interpreted it differently.  I've always thought of
it as Brian just described...especially with the word "fix" in it, which
most certainly implies that something is broken.

> I for one would like to be able to do Product searches and have a list for
> Core Enhancements as separate from Added Functionality...

I'm not sure this is always easy to distinguish.  For example, would you
consider an alternate User Folder a core enhancement or added functionality?
Would the determination be based on whether or not monkey patches were used
or some conception of what the product does?

I think it would be perfectly appropriate to call the Image hotfix an Image
Object Enhancement Product, or something similar.

Ron Bickers
Logic Etc, Inc.