[Zope] Ruling from the bench regarding 'Hotfixes' :)

marc lindahl marc@bowery.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:24:29 -0400

> From: "Ron Bickers" <rbickers-dated-999283324.ab7bbb@logicetc.com>
>
> I wonder how many have interpreted it differently.  I've always thought of
> it as Brian just described...especially with the word "fix" in it, which
> most certainly implies that something is broken.

Search Zope for 'hotfix' and you'll find at least half a dozen products
which use that term, but which aren't security relate but change
functionality.

I think it comes down to, Caseman wrote a great how-to on using this method
to do core enhancements, and it caught on.

But now that ZC is stepping up to the plate with some clarification, let's
come up with some acceptable terms, I say.

> I'm not sure this is always easy to distinguish.  For example, would you
> consider an alternate User Folder a core enhancement or added functionality?
> Would the determination be based on whether or not monkey patches were used
> or some conception of what the product does?

I'd say, it's a core enhancement.  I'd say, the determination would be if it
somehow replaces or overrides normal core behavior, without having to
explicitly 'add' the product.   Make sense?

> I think it would be perfectly appropriate to call the Image hotfix an Image
> Object Enhancement Product, or something similar.
> _______________________

Doesn't exactly roll of the tongue, does it?  How about ImageTag HotPatch?

> From: "Brian Lloyd" <brian.lloyd@zope.com>
>
> My argument is that that is a documentation issue. If people strongly
> disagree and think that new jargon needs to be invented, that's ok,
> but the new jargon should not be "Hotxxx" or anything that could be
> confused with "hotfix", for jargon-backward-compatibility reasons.

The jargon has already been invented, then abused!  Conclusion?  Jargon is
indicated.

>> I for one would like to be able to do Product searches and have a list for
>> Core Enhancements as separate from Added Functionality...
>
> I don't really understand the distinction as put here. To me,
> a product just lets me do something that I wouldn't be able to do
> without it. Core Session Tracking is both a core enhancement and
> added functionality. I suspect you mean "products that add new
> objects" and "products that modify existing objects".

Yes, that is what I meant.  I think my terminology was clear -- an
Enhancement adds functionality, but related to some preexisting
functionality.  We can stretch any of these terms - everything modifies the
existing object called Zope :)

>I suspect
> that is not a primary criteria most people would use to look for
> products (though this is separate from the jargon issue - it is
> really a categorization issue).

I don't agree - I think people want to know, "how can I hotrod zope?" just
as with any other piece of software they use.  But instead of our opinions,
I suppose we could make a Poll?

Monkey patches also are nice in that you can try them before you buy - no
special extra coding is needed.  So to get a list of what options are
available - to try with little expense - would be nice.  Especially if you
have a preexisting site, where it could be expensive to re-code stuff.

> From the jargon standpoint, I could see some piece of jargon
> that equals what we currently call "monkey patch" being useful
> as a shorthand amongst product developers (but it should not be
> a word that can be confused with hotfix).

hey, if you guys want to make MonkeyPatch official, I'll go with it :)