[Zope] OSX users looking to test a Mac GUI for Zope?

Michael R. Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
25 Aug 2001 11:08:18 -0700

On Wed, 2001-08-22 at 06:28, David Shaw wrote:
> I have been working on a Mac OS X package for Zope based off of the
> excellent binary distribution for MacOS X on zope.org.  What makes mine
> different is (a) it includes ZEO, and (b) is has a native Mac GUI
> configuration tool front-end.  You can see some screen shots here:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/dshaw/

David,

Let me first say that this is very slick looking, nice work.

However, I have a non-technical gripe, in that you are using the
'look-and-feel' of the zope.com website as well as the version of the
logo that is Zope Corporation's, which would indicate (to me, who is not
a ZC employee), that this was an 'official' zope utility. I'm guessing
that it's not, because of your email address, and the URL.

Now, I'm all for giving ZC credit where credit is due, but I am finding
this troubling because as far as I can tell, your work was not sponsored
by ZC, and therefore would be more properly identified with the Zope
development community of which you are a part, not with ZC.

I anticipated this possibility for confusion when I stated in my
"Distinguishing between ZC and the community" thread earlier this month
that the visual identities (ie: logos) of the community (at zope.org)
and the company (at zope.com) were now far too similar, given the
similarity of names. Since then the zope.org logo has received a
'community' tagline addition, but I don't think that this is sufficient
to distinguish the entities (particularly since they overlap).

Anyway, I guess I'm ranting a bit here, so I'll come up with a specific
reccomendation in this case: switch the logo to the 3D mark currently
used on zope.org, and switch the background to the solid blue-grey that
the zope.org site uses.

All this is, of course, only my own opinion.

Cheers,

Michael.