[Zope] A new standard image object (was Re: image hot fix)

marc lindahl marc@bowery.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:01:44 -0400

> From: "Ausum" <augusto@artlover.com>
>
> I prefer to store new image sizes (like in
> ZPhoto and Photo) and only process once for every new image.

The problem I have with that is the potential data.fs bloat.  But if you did
it only on upload, that would be a solution...

> I think that Marc's ImageTag hotfix and Photo/ZPhoto products might need to
> be merged in the standard image object: A standard image may or not contain
> its own other resized versions, as a user's choice, AND a standard image's
> tag methods should be able to custom-resize it on the fly, using PIL (in the
> medium term I expect PIL to workout its quality issues).
>
> What does the list think about this?  :)

Problem I have with that is, if you don't care about the dynamic resizing,
then why muck with PIL?  THat's why, I think it's good to make it a 'monkey
patch' that can either be installed or not...

So perhaps your 'uber-image' package could allow features to be enabled or
disabled - so if you don't have PIL installed, it doesn't cause an error if
it's disabled.