[Zope] Two newbie questions: port numbers, multi-user systems

Fred Riley f.h.riley@hull.ac.uk
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:40:35 +0100

That's a subject line that probably gets regulars groaning, I'll bet ;-)
Anyway, I've just joined this list, after being convinced of the merits of
Zope to both run websites and query ODBC databases. I've installed Zope on
a NT box I run and have been experimenting with it and reading TFM (or
rather, the Zope Book). It works fine, and I really like the interface and
the heap of Zope features, but there are two things I need to sort out
before I fully commit myself to using Zope:

Port number in URLs
-------------------
Because Zope runs off port 8080, this port number appears in URLs (eg
http://language.hull.ac.uk:8080/). Like everyone else, I'd like this not to
happen, but the solution in the Zope FAQ to FAQ 2.4 isn't suitable because
the NT box is also running other web services (such as ASP scripts to query
databases, eg as called from
http://www.lang.ltsn.ac.uk/events/eventsdb.html), and if I change the port
to 80 in the z2.py then of course Zope 'takes over' the server from IIS.

I ran this problem past a web developers list, and the two main solutions
suggested were:

1. Install Apache on the NT box, move IIS to another port, and set up a
proxy in the Apache config.
2. Set up a second IP address for the NT box and host Zope on that.

Neither of these are suitable (I won't bore everyone with the reasons), and
it seems a bit strange to me that there isn't a simpler solution for
integrating IIS with Zope. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Zope on multi-user systems
--------------------------
Here at Hull the main campus system is a multi-user Unix environment. I'm
meeting the sysadmin of this tomorrow to talk about ships and sails and
sealing wax, and I want to ask him to install Zope on the system so that I
can run Zope-powered websites in ordinary user accounts. (I particularly
want to move www.lang.ltsn.ac.uk, which runs from a user account, to Zope
as the content's getting unmanageable.) Is it feasible to run such websites
from user accounts? And what do I need to ask him to do, both in terms of
installation and setting up Zope sites in user accounts?

TIA for any help. I really do want to use Zope, both for my sake to reduce
mine and my colleague's workload, and to support Open Source software in
general. So far, though, I've spent over a day on the port number thing
alone, and I'm worrying that I might have to spend more time learning and
configuring Zope than I save.

Cheers

Fred

PS: Where on earth does the name Zope come from?
Fred Riley			 Email: f.h.riley@selc.hull.ac.uk
Web Developer			 Tel: 01482 466316
C&IT Centre, Language Institute http://www.hull.ac.uk/php/ccsfhr/fhr.html
University of Hull, Hull, UK