[Zope] is zope a solution?

tonyl tonyl@vextech.net
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 20:39:29 +0100

On Friday 31 Aug 2001 20:18 pm, Jim Penny wrote:

> Yes, I am saying that the version I have crashes once or twice a week.
> No, it does not make it at all unusable.  There are 86400 minutes in
> a week. this makes it available  99.9976% of the time.  It is automatically
> restarted after a minute without response goes by, so I do not have to
> be here, etc.

What planet are you using zope on Jim.? Your days last a real long time (or
my maths is awful) ;-)

> Apache in my experience is better in terms of uptime.  But I have had it
> crash, too.  I have had PostgreSQL crash.  I have has AS/400 services
> crash.  Once you get beyond 3 9's of uptime, it starts to cost money.
> I am running on clone hardware with no ECC, etc.  Prepare not to have
> 99.999% uptime, and you can handle 99.99% uptime quite well.

For me, the issue is which of those minutes it's out of action. In my
situation, the application will be hammered at the start of the month, week
and morning (in that order). Most of the available minutes for statistical
purposes won't have much in the way of system activity. So 1 minute in peak
time is quite a high %age for the project. The equipment will probably be an
8 way sun box with oracle.

> Given my experience, I can whole-heartedly recommend zope, and I
> suspect that most users would find less trouble with it than I do.

Sounds good to me (don't like the window for dhtml entry though)!

> isdazope is very useful.  It can take care of restarting things so
> that a typical crash lasts no more than 60 seconds, unattended.

I guess it has a user definable check-zope-is-up period? I'll soon change it
if it hasn't! (if I can).

Thanks,
Tony