[Zope] Email anti-spam solution

Bruce Eckel Bruce@EckelObjects.com
Sat, 01 Dec 2001 09:37:29 -0800

As a follow up to the previous message, on the page:
http://www.turnstep.com/Spambot/cgi.html#nomailto

I found this:

A far better way is to use a POST method. Spambots cannot follow a
POST. If they did, they would have to parse apart every FORM tag
and also try to set any INPUT tags as well. We're approaching
artificial intelligence at this point, so this method is pretty
safe. Some example HTML code for a POST method:

<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="/cgi-bin/Nomailto.pl">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="spambot" VALUE="greg">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="beware" VALUE="turnstep.com">
<INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" VALUE="Send me email!">
</FORM>

Note that this will work with non-graphical broswers as well. An
even nicer way is to tie the submit button in with a button - such
as a graphic with your email on it:

<INPUT TYPE="IMAGE" SRC="Images/email1.gif">

Most current information can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html
Bruce Eckel    http://www.BruceEckel.com
Contains free electronic books: "Thinking in Java 2e" & "Thinking
in C++ 2e"
Please subscribe to my free newsletter -- just send any email to:
join-eckel-oo-programming@earth.lyris.net
My schedule can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Calendar