[Zope] Newbie comparison Zope, MSCMS and RedDot - editing content

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 03:01:36 +0100

Hi!

> http://demo.iuveno-net.de/iuveno/Products/Kontentor
>
> They already have a sexy demo site put up, so you can have a "feel" of it.
> Nevertheless, I was not able to set it up correctly -- maybe I should have
> read the README more carefully ;-)

The current demo tarball is not really what you'd like to test at home. If
you want to test, use the test site. But over the weekend Kontentor 2.0 has
become rather stable. I am REALLY confident that the alpha will be out for
christmas. It will feature:

- full multi-level skinnability
- a set of predefined objects (similar to CMF), like News, Events, FAQ,
Addresses
- a membership concept
- WYSIWYG editing (IE only) and in-site editing (copy&paste links or images
from one page to another, including symlinks that will automatically be
up-to-date)
- full internationalization via ZBabel
- Formulator as an easy-to-use form generation framework
- ZCatalog support
- ...

The next step then will probably be building tools for people to create
their own content objects (like ZClasses, but more efficient and easier to
use).

Also on the schedule:

- integrating ZMailMan as soon as it is finished
- integrating autogeneration of GIF/PNG text buttons from navigation trees
etc.
- upload/download/indexing support for Word/PDF (using the existing tools
and making them compatible)

- portal tools (to create user-defined views with editable boxes etc.)

Kontentor is more like Zope than like CMF. It doesn't introduce too many new
APIs or concepts, but tries to use the existing ones efficiently.

Joachim