[Zope] Re: Zope Mailing Lists

Zope.org Webmaster webmaster@zope.org
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 12:22:01 -0500

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 10:05:06PM -0500, Tim Holmes wrote:
> SOS on checkout meltdown.
> https://www.adirondackcraft.com/Checkout
>
> on http://www.adirondacraft.com
>
> We have had an re-occuring problem that appears to strike when
> shoppers are using early browser versions of the Version 5 MS Internet Explorer.
> When move from our shopping cart to our first check-out page,
> the seem to lose the connection, and the check out page will only partially load
> and the few images don't load.  They can fill in the address blanks, but when they
> click to go to the next check out page, they receive an error message.
>
> Here is how one shopper described it:
> I tried ordering online again and after hitting continue on
> the first checkout page I got the same page stating that it
> could not connect to the next web page.
>
> The reason I think it might be early version's of 5.0 is that I use 5.5,
> and have had no problem.
> And here is the experience of another user:
> I think maybe i found the problem!  I've just downloaded
> Explorer ver.6, was using ver 5 and the first time after
> I installed it, it wouldn't recognize I had anything in my
> cart. But then I backed out, used my history files to get back to the site.
> Then it worked like a charm!!
>
> We have a failure rate of about 30% on our check out pages.
> We did try to trace the error in Zope and discovered an error 204, but difficult
> to tell what that is.
>
> Any record of Zope having problems with early MSE Version 5 Browsers.
> Thanks for any insights or suggestions.

Hi Tim,

First of all, questions related to Zope problems are best asked on the Zope
mailinglist; the webmaster@zope.org address is primarily meant for issues on
Zope.org only.

That said, I can confirm that we have seen problems with IE 5.0 and Zope,
but only when it comes to passing on Authtication information. However, it
may well be that IE 5.0 has got other problems as well. Either way, the
default index_html page on a freshly installed Zope warns against using IE
5.0.

Maybe someone on the Zope mailinglist can provide further insights, I cc-ed
the list.

--
Martijn Pieters