[Zope] stability of zope?

kosh@aesaeion.com kosh@aesaeion.com
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:45:05 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 rene@xs4all.nl wrote:

> I also need some testimonials about Zope's rock-solid(?) stability...

I run a fair number of Zopes and I find them to be extremely stable with a
few caveats.

1) They must run on a unix environment. I have mostly run on linux and I
don't have any problems with that. The tests I did with windows just
didn't go well. I have heard that is because of a bug in the windows vm.

2) Some python products are written pretty badly so you need to take
a product and hammer it before you deploy it to see what problems it has.
However I consider this to be a normal thing since you want to test every
solution pretty throughly before you deploy it.

With these caveats I find zope just doesn't crash or stop receiving data.
I have run it both on its own and behind apache with equal success.
Typical uptimes would be around 10 to 30 days because you have to
restart the server to add a new product or apply security updates. Neither
of those things are really a problem since you can just plan for a time to
do it and 2 mins downtime planned is not bad.

Designing the webpages of tomorrow http://webme-eng.com
Designing the MMORPGS of tomorrow http://worldforge.org