[Zope] User profile management product

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:26:32 +0100

Benjamin Buffereau writes:
 > I need to manage user profiles, where "user" can stand either for an anonymous
 > visitor or for an identified visitor. In other words, I need a session tracking
 > product that:
When you manage user profiles for users, then all users are
necessarily identified. Otherwise, you would be unable
to associate profiles with them. However, they are not
necessarily be identified by loginname/password.
You would probably use a long living cookie to identify your
users (this approach, of course, does not really identify users
but identifies browser installations to a certain degree).

 > -allows the visitor to become a member, log in, log out, etc.
 > -allows to store and retrieve visitor profiles.
 >
 > CoreSessionTracking can't do that,
Why not? The thing that might need to be changed is that
the state information is maintained persistently (what is
probably already be the case with the Id-Manager state
and could be achieved with an external data manager with
a very long expiration date).

 > and I don't need a complete content
 > management framework, as all I want to manage is user profiles. Anyone knows a
 > product matching my needs?
The other option would be a specialized UserFolder, maybe an extension
of XUF (--> zope.org, mailing list archives).

Dieter