[Zope] stability of zope?

Meilicke, Scott scott.meilicke@intp.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:24:21 -0800

Well, you have my curiosity now, so I dug around a bit.

Partial output from uptime:

Since 4/24/2000:

           System Availability: 99.8800%
                  Total Uptime: 596d 0h:2m:30s
                Total Downtime: 0d 17h:10m:56s
                 Total Reboots: 32
     Mean Time Between Reboots: 18.65 days
             Total Bluescreens: 0

Note the Total Downtime includes scheduled downtimes, power outages (we had
one that lasted for 5 hours last May), etc.

The other output that I have not included indicates there were 9 "Abnormal
Shutdowns".  I hadn't noticed those, possibly because this machine hasn't
been in production, just development. If I just look at the "Abnormal
Shutdowns", mean time between reboots becomes 34 days.  Not great, not bad.

Mean Time Between Reboots includes multiboots due to multiple fix packs,
security patches, etc.  Yes, this is the downside of NT, but at least I
could plan for it.

I've had 23 planned shutdowns, 9 "Abnormal Shutdowns".  So 32 reboots over
596 days isn't too bad for NT :)

While I like linux better than windows (I've been using linux for 5 years),
Zope on NT has been stable for me.

Now, out of curiosity, I ran uptime on my two production servers, not
running zope, but load balanced, so the site has higher uptime:

server 1:

Since 4/1/2001: (Last 255 Days)

           System Availability: 99.9606%
                  Total Uptime: 255d 7h:53m:44s
                Total Downtime: 0d 2h:24m:50s
                 Total Reboots: 42
     Mean Time Between Reboots: 6.08 days
             Total Bluescreens: 0

Total abnormal shutdowns: 10

server 2:

Since 4/1/2001: (Last 255 Days)

           System Availability: 99.9795%
                  Total Uptime: 255d 9h:3m:39s
                Total Downtime: 0d 1h:15m:21s
                 Total Reboots: 23
     Mean Time Between Reboots: 11.11 days
             Total Bluescreens: 0

Total abnormal shutdowns: 3

Note these two are hosted at Exodus - lots of redundant power and bandwidth.

Scott