[Zope] "remote" user-account authentication

Zachery Bir zbir@urbanape.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:00:51 -0500

On Thursday, December 20, 2001, at 09:50 , Jeffrey Robinson wrote:

> Hi Folks;
>
> With my current (Linux) network setup I have existing user
> accounts on one
> server and Zope running on another.  I'd like to use Zope to create a
> interface that allows folks to customize some aspects of their
> accounts, but
> I've got a little problem right off the start.
>
> Obviously I want users to login to Zope before they can change
> anything,
> which requires users to be authenticated against the existing
> accounts on
> the other server.
>
> I thought perhaps my problems were solved when I saw exUserFolder in
> combination with zExtraAuths (authenticating users against IMAPD
> on the main
> server).  Alas, zExtraAuths is no longer supported by the author,
> and no
> longer works correctly with the newer versions of exUserFolder.
> Is there a relatively sane way to validate external accounts on a
> different
> machine so that users may login to Zope with the same Username/password
> (short of trying to see what isn't working with zExtraAuths and
> seeing if I
> can patch it for my needs... I'm not really a Python-person yet).
> Installing additional software on the user-account server is not
> entirely
> out of the question either.
> Any insight would be appreciated.

You may want to look into using LoginManager, which allows for
authenticating against ( relatively ) arbitrary user sources. Most
of the examples on zope.org use it with an SQL database, but other
sources of data should be doable.

Zachery Bir <zbir@urbanape.com>
<URL:http://www.urbanape.com/>