[Zope] Newbie

Philip Kilner phil@xfr.co.uk
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 18:55:34 GMT

Hi John,

In article <20011224140203.74465.qmail@web21102.mail.yahoo.com>, John
public wrote:
> I am a Newbie programmer. I started programming in Python a few
> weeks ago. I have written one succesful tic tac toe program. I
> assume I can learn Zope and Python at the same time. If this is
> wrong please let me know.

Yes, you can - but you can do a lot in Zope with no Python at all.

In Zope, what you can do with Python is also limited by the need for
security in a web application - so it's good to get a feel for Python
before finding out how you can shoot yourself in the foot by exposing
all its facilities in Zope!

;0)

> I just downloaded Zope 2.4. 3  It
> installed, or so it said, but I can't seem to find the start button.

Zope normally runs as a service - the only thing you get to see is the
web (and other server) interfaces - try:-

   http://localhost:8080 - for a quick intro

   http://localhost:8080/manage - for the management interface

This is assuming you are on Win NT or 2K and you local machien resolves
to localhost (if not try substituting 127.0.0.1 for localhost in the
above URLs), and have chosen to run Zope as a service - if it's not
running as a service or you are on Win 9x, look for start.bat in the
Zope Website folder, run that and try those URLs...

If you're on Windows, let me know if this works and I should be able to
help you - if Linux, I'm afraid I'm the wrong man for the job!

> Is building basic web web pages in Zope easier or harder than
> Writing code in Python?

Much, much easier.

> Any good Tutorials for complete begginers to
> Zope and web page building?

Take a look at the Zope Book at:-

   http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB/

Specifically for Scripting see:-

   http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB/ScriptingZope.dtml

The very fact that scripting isn't covered until chapter 8 will give
you the idea that you can do a lot without Python...

I guess I'm just a little way down the same road you are embarking
upon. I decided to learn Zope in parallel with Python, and haven't even
got to scripting yet. In my Python travels, I found the Python stuff
useful at:-

   http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Python

The bit about CGI programming in Python is interesting in order to give
you a feel for how much Zope does for you, and how much of other folks
mature code you can use in Zope.

HTH!

Cheers & Seasons Greets,

PhilK