[Zope] closer_but _ still_lost

Philip Kilner phil@xfr.co.uk
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 12:20:38 GMT

Hi John,

In article <20011225111015.3527.qmail@web21110.mail.yahoo.com>, John public wrote:
> Ok, found the start Icon and clicked it.

This should have been "start.bat", which by default would be in c:\program files\website.

This starts the *local* zope server.

> Got a Dos box. It seemed to do nothing.

That's right - it's not very talkative.

It just tells you what's happening in a scrolling console window...

> Then I clicked the link I was given below. I got messages that said a new Zope disk had been detected.

Not sure whether this message was in the /browser/ or /console/ (DOS box)?

> It seemed that I was talking to a Zope program somewhere and it was t
> rying to assign me a spot. I think the word socket came up a few times.
> Each time there was a consecutive number, 8020, 8021,8022 ect.

The Zope server runs on your local box.

> I was expecting a screen from a web page like I had seen on a tutorial.
> Unfortunately I cannot find that tutorial now.

You should get a logon at the /manage URL which takes you to the Zope management screens - which are indeed web pages.

> Is this something I operate from a dos box?

No - the DOS box is purely informational...

> Or should I get a web page when I click the link below?

Yes, the links should give web pages. If not, what do you see?

Regards,

PhilK