[Zope] How do I personalize my error messages?

thomas@hentschel.net thomas@hentschel.net
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:07:53 -0800 (PST)

On 23 Feb, Andy McKay wrote:
> Bizarre as it seems, not all error messages go to standard_error_message.
> Some obvious ones such as 404 for example. Add yourself to the growing list
> of people who think this is annoying.

The problem is not as simple as it may seem. Zope tries the request
thru it's traversal machinery, but what if there isn't anything to
traverse ? It would have to go back and try bottom up for a
standard_error_message, keeping the last one found until it fails to
find one.

The way that problem is solved right now is by hardcoding the message
you end up seeing into the zope code.

I used to have a patch around which would instead hardcode the
standard_error_message found in / to make it at least configurable, I
lost that patch in a recent HD crash. Someone on IRC tested it out and
found it better then the current solution, perhaps he's listening ??

It's in HTTPResponse.py, and it was rather trivial.

-Th