[Zope] Why require "Manager" for changing Z SQL Method?

Kyler B. Laird laird@ecn.purdue.edu
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:18:21 -0500

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:40:08 -0500 you wrote:

>I'm using Zope 2.3.0 and ZOracleDA 2.2.0b1.
>Users are starting to take advantage of the
>Oracle connections, but have been frustrated
>because they are unable to change Z SQL
>Methods.  (They just keep creating new ones.)

I just got Oracle 8.1.7 working here so that I
could try DCOracle2.  It took me a bit of
hacking to get the connect() routine to
correctly parse a connect string.

I created a Z SQL Method and then set all of
the Anonymous permissions on in the Security
page.  I then tried to edit it without
authenticating.  It failed with "Unauthorized."

I'm glad that I was able to beat DCOracle2 into
submission, but I finally realized that the
problem is not there; it's in Z SQL Methods.  I
was thinking I'd get a new version with
DCOracle2, but it appears I'm using the one
from the original ZOracleDA.

The Z SQL Methods product looks like it uses an
old way of handling security.  (It hasn't been
updated since November).  I suspect it is going
to take a real effort to fix it.

Tomorrow...

--kyler