[Zope] Proposal: Include tino's patched <dtml-in> in future Zope

Didier Georgieff Didier.GEORGIEFF@agriculture.gouv.fr
27 Feb 2001 11:04:34 +0100

Le 26 Feb 2001, =E0 19:05, zope-request@zope.org a =E9crit :

> Now, I know a lot of people think DTML should be left to die, but
> personally I think it is not given enough credit.  DTML is a wonderful
> language, and can greatly ease peoples transition from other systems
> into Zope.
>
> Everyone told me 'no, use python to do all your work'.  But until
> Python Methods (and now Python Scripts) it was impractical.  My first
> three Zope applications were entirely in DTML, and the clients have
> loved every one of them.

I second that.

Honestly I started to use (and learn) Zope for a big project without
any Python knowledge, and made use of existing Products, new
ZClass (not python) and DTML.

This allowed me to show really *quickly* a good functionnal product
(actually this is still in use), quite *simply* (for me), and now that
i've convinced people about how great Zope is and what can be
done, i'm able to request evolutions (and some reingineering) and a
more "professional" developement process using Python where it
*should* be.

This is the great thing about Zope : You can do lot of efficient work
with tools fitting your knowledge, and move smoothly to the next
expertise level (or request some people to move for you).

I (and other people as well ;-)) don't consider my myself as a good
developper, but more as a end user with a good knowledge, and i
still can use a big part of Zope Zen.
IMHO this aspect is quite essential to let the maximun different
people go with Zope. No need to understand ZPattern (i just can't ;-
) to make smart products.

Didier.