[Zope] only know HTML; how easy to learn Zope?

Philippe J philippejadin2@swing.be
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:11:48 +0100

> How hard is it for non-programmers to learn Zope?
> Would PHP be easier? How many of you guys
> graduated from Python to
> Zope? If I only know HTML can I realistically

It all depends of what you want to do. In any case, wathever you want to do,
you'll do it faster with zope than with php. Altough those are really
differents things. Think of php as a programing langage, think zope as a web
development plateform written using another programing langage (python).
Some of the things I learned in a few month with php, took me less than a
week to do with zope. With zope, some of the work has already been made.

I stopped php development because I had the feeling to rewrite each app from
scratch. This doesn't happen with zope. I would say that zope may be harder
to understand at first, but it is _so_  easier to make reusable elements for
future websites that you should really go the zope way.

> ...learn anything beyond the very basics of Zope or
> am I looking at learning Pyhton in parallel?

The "very basics" of zope (I mean some dtml, understanding of "the way it
works") will let you build complete websites in a far better way than
before. In any case, it's better to use zope only with your html knowledge,
than the time it would take to learn another langage.

My (totally biaised) view of zope. But wait, I discovered zope 3 weeks ago,
php 2 years ago, so I'm only biaised by the little amount of time I got
results with zope. Results matter...

Philippe