[Zope] Installing ZoracleDA/DCOracle

Shai Berger shai@aristocart.com
Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:53:31 +0200

Hi guys,

We've been having quite some problems here with Zope and Oracle, and
I'm beginning to suspect minor binary incompatibilities between
different components of our system. My main concern is this: We use
a binary Zope installation (2.2.5). DCOracle comes as a source-only
distribution, because it needs to be compiled and linked against
the right versions of Oracle and Python. The thing is, the Python
that comes in a Zope binary installation cannot be used for this
compilation; we compiled DCOracle against our system's independent
Python 1.5.2 installation, put it in the ZOracleDA, and it works --
but makes Zope hang a lot in its select (I know because I killed it
-INT, after it wouldn't respond to any connections including the
monitor).

My first question is: Is anybody else using ZOracleDA/DCOracle with
a binary release? If so, how did you compile and link it?

More generally, has anyone else (except for Dieter, who was kind
enough to share such an experience with a Zope 2.1.6) seen Zope
get stuck like this?

More generally yet, am I on a goose-chase? Does anybody have
experience passing binary libraries between Python installations,
and can tell me it always works?

Thanks,
        Shai.