[Zope] Interesting ownership behavior...

Jeff Peterson jpeterso@the-bridge.net
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:32:37 -0600

We are using Zope 2.2.2 on IRIX 6.5.x using ProxyPass in Apache to virtual
host a domain that accesses its files from a folder off of the root.  At the
time of the development my cohort here had the only root access, I had only
manager access to the specific folder in which I was doing the development.
Yesterday, I set up a new domain in the same fashion, ProxyPass from Apache
to a different folder off the root, to do this I needed root access, so I
was added, and not feeling I needed a local access account we removed my
local information from the user folder.

At this point, all the files I created as the local user were, of course,
still owned by that user.  However, this user did not now exist, in reply
Zope asked anybody trying to access these files to authenticate, even if
they had already.  I then added the username again in the local folder and
it assumed ownership of all the files, which circumvented the issue.

I reproduced this in 2.2.2, I was unable to do so in 2.3.0.  Is this a bug,
a feature, a freak occurrence and was it fixed or did it just "go away" as
some things in the programming world do?

TIA,

Jeffrey D. Peterson
Webmaster/Web & Web Applications Developer
Range TV Cable & Broadband
1813 E. 3rd Ave.  Hibbing, MN 55746
jpeterso@the-bridge.net