[Zope] Excavating for Clues

Spicklemire, Jerry Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 08:54:05 -0500

Dieter Maurer replied:

> Spicklemire, Jerry writes:
> > When I call "REQUEST.redirect(other_url)", the REQUEST isn't destroyed,
> > in fact all the parameters are retained, right down to the original
> > method, so that a "get" method passes parameters appended to the URL,
> > and a "post" method includes all the original REQUEST parameters in the
> > header.
>
> The HTTP/1.1 specification is unfortunately very vague with respect
> to what should be done with the request parameters.
> Thus, browsers have some freedom what they do about them.

Oh joy, I haven't even gotten around to testing cross-browser yet!
This could very well be an MS Expoder problem. I'll try NS today.

> I am unsure what behaviour I would favour:
>
>   If I have a GET method, I would usually not like the
>   browser to append the old request parameters.
>   For, if I would like them available, I can easily
>   add the QUERY_STRING myself.
>
>   However, if I have a POST method, I cannot provide
>   the request body in the redirect.
>   It would be natural when the browser would send
>   the original request body just to the new location.
>
> I think, the second behaviour is more in line with the
> notion of redirection: send the same request to a different
> URL. However, my browser (Netscape 4) implements the first
> behaviour.

The bottom line for me is how to get Zope to do what is needed.
It's very possible that I'm once again blurring the line between
client side and server side behavior. Symptoms of late stage
Javascript burnout.

In simplest terms, how can I leverage Zope to point from one page
to another and make certain that the troublesome parameters are
no longer around to cause problems?

> Why are you unhappy about the parameters.
> Usually, they do not hurt.

My guess is that it's the Acrobat plug-in isn't happy about them,
so it can't just display the .PDF file, instead it generates an
error message. However, all I have to do is to hit

<shift> <refresh>

and the .PDF displays normally. Yet another mystery . . .

Thanks,
Jerry S.