[Zope] Java and Zope

Spinwing spinwing@inwind.it
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:35:13 +0100

Hello

ok, I have managed to read the docs and found all answers to my previous
(and unfortunately html tagged, sorry for that) mail.

But now a more subtle question, bear with me one moment:

- if I want to use servlets, theorectically no problem, I can still install
tomcat or whatever, use servlets, do what I want and answer back somehow to
zope. That's fair enough
- for more advanced things however I have to get crazy or rely on XML-RPC,
which is a good thing, but after all is not 100% java compliant (am I
wrong?) In any case I have to follow up with the effort of single willing
programmers, and not sun or dc.

Now I am asking myself: what if zope would be able to expose its interface
also as java classes? Here are some questions:

- do you think it is possible to write some sort of python/java wrapper so
that it is possible to access zope from java natively?
- what about equipping zope with a jvm, possibly jsdk2.2 compliant? after
all, tomcat is open source as well...
- is there already any project running that will achieve this?
- if not, why not considering doing it?

As a newbie to zope, I find it an amazing product, and I would almost define
it a killer application, but imagine how killer can be with a native support
to java as well.

Some can be against it, and can claim that python and perl are farily
sufficient extensions, and I perfectly agree with that, but seen the
extension of the java community and the lack of an environment like zope
mixed with java, I think it will worth at least thinking about it. Consider
also that most of enterprises companies have already good investments in
java, or are willing to do.

I had an intense look at enhydra, but my stomach stil aches.....:)

Any answer to my doubts will be very appreciated.

Regards
Stefano