[Zope] [SOLVED with comment] TOAD Issues with 8.1.7, MTS, and more

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario@ita.chalmers.se
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:40:21 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "toadman" <toadman@toadsoft.com>

> > > what happens is that TOAD hangs waiting for the
> > > server to reply to the "get primaty keys"-constraints.
> >
> > I mean that toad hangs when waiting for the server to reply to the  "get
> > primary keys constraints"-query that TOAD uses for displaying the PK and
> > stuff in its windows.
> >
> > This query when run manually, also chokes the server.
>
> All of which points to a problem on the server.  What is your
> client-side software, OS, Oracle client, etc.

Yes, indeed it was the server. Somehow, when our DBA upgraded to 8.1.7, the
data dictionaries got all messed up, and there were a lot of indexes missing
or just fscked up. When rebuilt, the problems disappeared. Thanks for the
input I got.

For the record: Solaris (2.6/7?) Sun OS, 5.6 Generic_105181-21 sun4u sparc
SUNW,Ultra-4
4-CPU Sun 450.

Client: W2k, 8.1.6 client. TOADs: latest beta as well as toad 6.5 release.

Now for the comment:

it would be nice if toad didn't completely hang when encountering errors of
this kind, i.e it is ok for it not to respond input while waiting for the
server response, but I think it should not be hanging (as in "windows
reports that the program is not responding").

I don't know if this is possible given toad's current architechture, but
this error also occured when we had a phantom process locking up one of the
packages (different server and oracle version). when I tried to recompile
the package toad just completetly hung up on me. After something like 5-10
minutes it came back, but the package was not recompiled and there where no
errors reported. I tried to recompile the package from source with SQL*Plus,
and after a couple of minutes I got a timeout error (twice) before the
commaned execution ended.

HOWEVER when I tried to drop the package, toad gave me an error (the timeout
error) quite swiftly, so somehow it seems that there is some mechanism of
catching timeout errors, that seems not to be used when compiling source.

Well, other than that, TOAD still rocks :-). And, now that I've
re-discovered that TOAD is not the culprit, I can go back to the
beta-version once more :-)

Sincerely,

/dario