[Zope] zope on Win95

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:03:02 -0500

Nando

This should be what you are looking for:

http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.2.4/Zope-2.2.4-win32-x86.exe/view

I have been running Zope on Win95 and Win98 on laptops for learning,
development and off-line site demsontration very happily for a long time.

You don't 'execute dtml files' ... Zope uses them for many purposes as
server-side scripts which are rendered and returned as ordinary HTML in the
client web browser. DTML files can combine Zope-specific syntax, Python
sytnax, Javascript stuff, CSS etc.

Learning how to design for Zope, factoring the application, when and where
to use the many tools and techniques - it takes time and practice to do
well. But it is possible to get simple but impressive results very fast.

DTML can be called within other DTML, Python or directly in a URL from a web
browser.
For example: http://www.myzopesite.com/invent
'invent' might be one of many things including:
- a DTML Document or Method
- some other script or method typically programmed in Python and accessible
to Zope
- a Zope other object in the ZODB [Zope Object Data Base]
- a Zope 'folder' which appears as a hierarchical file system tree of
containers for Zope applications, projects and data

1. See the online version of the new Zope Book
http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB/
This will be published very soon by O'Reilly

2. Run through the tutuorials which are included when you download Zope.

3. See many more guides, how-to's etc are linked from
http://www.zope.org/Documentation

Good luck!

- Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']