[Zope] NEWBIE: Versions

J. Atwood jatwood@bwanazulia.com
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 08:10:27 -0500

At 12:43 PM +0000 1/8/2001, Andy Gates wrote:
>Hi folks,
>'Tis time, think I, to use versioning: keep the live site running and
>work on a version with all changes, let the droids assess it, and then
>roll it live in one chunk.

Congrats on getting a Zope site up and running (and working with
marketing at all).

Version is very simple. On the top root level add a version from the
drop down and give it a name. I usually give it a capital name or
start it with a number so it will float to the top of the list. Then
go into it (click on it) and click on the "Start working in XXXX"
button. This will put you into the version and anything you do will
not be seen by anyone outside of the version. You can browse your
sites, see the updates etc. When you are done with the changes and
everything works just go back into the version, Leave it and click on
the "save/discard" tab. At this point if you save your changes they
go live, if you discard they are lost. If you drop a note in there
you will see it in your undo log.

Some notes:
- You can have more than one version going but they cannot be working
on the same item
- A lot of people can join a version to work in it or view it
- Try to make the name of your version match what you are doing and
don't let changes sit in it too long or you will forget what you did

Enjoy,