[Zope] MySQL connection woes

paul_s_johnson@urscorp.com paul_s_johnson@urscorp.com
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 14:38:02 -0600

                    "Randall F.          To:     <paul_s_johnson@urscorp.com>
                    Kern"                cc:
                    <randy@spoke.        Subject:     RE: [Zope] MySQL connection woes
                    net>

                    01/09/01
                    12:08 PM

>For a quick test, run the mysql client from the command line.
>
>Let's say your connection string was:
>          foodb paul passwd
>
>Start mysql like this:
>$ mysql -u paul -p foodb
>
>And when prompted for the password, enter passwd.
>
>This will ensure mysql is setup correctly.  Make sure you do this from
>the same machine that is running Zope, as MySql can be configured for
>different access from different machines.
>
>If you want to play with "null" passwords and such, look at the
>mysql.user and mysql.db tables.  Remember to run "mysqladmin
>flush-privileges" after making changes to the user and db tables.

This last part I did not know, thanks!

Ok, I am getting closer. I finally found a connection string that Zope
accepts, but now when I test the connection with a query like "SHOW
TABLES;" or a SELECT query it I get the message:

     "There was no data matching this Z MySQL Database Connection
(connected) query."

- even though I know these tables exist. The connection says that it is
open and it will only accept connection strings of databases that really
exist in MySQL.

INFO:
MySQL user name: root
hostname: www.myhost.com
password: none

Zope Connection string: mydatabase@www.myhost.com root

In the grant tables there is the following entries:
In user: root@www.myhost.com with no privileges
In db: root@www.myhost.com with all privileges for mydatabase.* except for
Grant_priv

One other parameter that may have a bearing: the box's name is
station99.ispname.net even though it hosts www.myhost.com (or is it the
other way around?).

Any suggestions why the connection is not working properly?