[Zope] MySQLDA and MySQL-python - patch needed?

Ron Bickers rbickers@logicetc.com
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:19:28 -0500

> On my box only DA is symlinked to a different location. The rest of my
> products reside in a child directory of the main Zope installation. I am
> only running one Zope instance. This shouldn't be a problem, right?

This should not be a problem.

> >From Zope management database connection Test tab, on valid
> SELECT queries
> it tells me that there was no data matching my query. On invalid SELECT
> queries (ones on nonexistent tables or columns) Zope raises the correct
> error originating from MySQL, such as "Error Value: (1146, "Table
> 'somedatabase.sometable' doesn't exist")". The trial queries I am testing
> through Zope all work from the MySQL command line so I know they
> do in fact
> return data. It appears that error messages are making it back to
> Zope from
> MySQL but real query results are not.

Are you saying that the valid select queries are suppose to return data, but
in the test screen they don't?  If you can run a query and get a response,
that's a pretty strong indication that both the module and the DA are
installed correctly.

It's quite possible that the binary RPMs only work properly with certain
versions of MySQL for whatever reason.  Perhaps if you compile the module
from the src RPM
(http://dustman.net/andy/python/MySQLdb/0.2.1/MySQL-python-0.2.1-1.i386.rpm)
you can eliminate one more factor.  You'll probably need to have MySQL-devel
installed as well as python-devel.  The only reason I point to an older
version of Andy's module is because that's what I'm using and I know it
works for me.

> RPMs, but perhaps I missed something and some residue lingers. I know how
> to uninstall RPMs, but other than that how do I make sure I have a clean
> slate before trying to install anew? I think there is quite a
> number of mod
> dependencies here. Also I am confused on a basic piece of Zope
> configuration: my box has its own python and Zope has its own python, why
> two and are they sharing modules? If you want to add a module for both

You could probably have many versions of python that share modules.  I'm
using my everyday python for Zope, but I know that's not possible for some,
because Zope needs certain options that the "default" version may not have
compiled in.  If your Zope is running, the MySQLDA product isn't broken, and
you can run queries on the test page, then I can't see how it's a python or
Zope problem.  I may just be blind, though.

> I also did this as (contributed previously to the list) to fix a install
> but broken DA. Directory, site-packages, now exists in two locations. Is
> this a problem?

As long as the python you're using for Zope can find the module you expect
it to find, you should be fine.

> >Seems that because of how my Zope was installed had problems... I copied
> all
> >files from /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/ to
> >/usr/local/zope/lib/python/Products/ZmySQLDA and all was sweet.
>
> Day 5 of the insanity continues.

I must have been very lucky with my installation since I've never had these
kinds of problems getting it running, but I see that many have.

Ron Bickers
Logic Etc, Inc.
rbickers@logicetc.com