[Zope] OpenBSD 2.8 woes

Luke Tymowski luke@seeto.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 06:34:18 -0500

Hello Jan:

> I don't really know what else I could do. Right now it looks
> pretty much as if I'm going to switch to FreeBSD, my second
> favourite :-|
> Has anyone got Zope 2.2.5 running under OpenBSD 2.8??? If so, I'd
> be really curious what steps you followed to get it to work.-

You will have to use FreeBSD or use OpenBSD 2.7.

2.8 will not work because there is a bug in the threading library
included with OpenBSD 2.8. Zope triggers it when you call the management
screen.

However, in the Zope code for the management screens there are
"thread-safe" calls used which are not, as far as I know, used elsewhere
in Zope. Maybe there is a bug in that code?

But for now I believe the bug to be in OpenBSD 2.8. I have not found
anything to suggest that it has been fixed or looked at. None of the
patches released so far for 2.8 mention it.

I went through this in early December.

Luke