[Zope] Calling other frames (OT)

Curtis Maloney curtis@cardgate.net
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:58:06 +1100

On Monday 15 January 2001 22:51, Oliver Bleutgen wrote:
> > I think probably Javascript is the 'cleanest' solution in this case,
> > but depending on the complexity of your UI another non-JS approach is
> > to make every link target the topmost frome (e.g., target="_top") and
> > redraw all frames in the frameset on each 'click'. This way you know
> > that all frames reflect the latest situation, but it can be annoying
> > to see the whole browser redraw every time you do anything. However,
> > if your browser doesn't *do* Javascript.... (so long as it does do
> > frames.... hmm.. how likely is that?) then it would at least work....
>
> There' s always the possibility that people disable javascript -
> and checking for instance http://www.guninski.com/browsers.html
> I would say they have reason to do so.

Agreed.  I run NS4.76 with JavaScript disabled... it's the only way I've
found to stop it pissing away my memory.

> My take is that one should at least provide a non-javascript alternative
> to browse the site. This also helps with search-engines....

IMHO, JavaScript should be used to provide faster access to the same
interface, but never to add functionality that is not otherwise available.  A
great example is http://www.asus.com.tw  ...  they have a side-bar menu
which, with JS, will give you sub-menus when you hover over the links, etc.
However, if you just click on the link, you are taken to a sub page which has
the very same sub-menu, and this happens regardless of JS.

> cheers,
> oliver

As for this frame problem... seems like you're voiding the best (IMHO) use of
frames, which is to prevent reloading of portions of the page.  Otherwise I
just render all the objects into elements of an 'uber-table'...

Have a better one,
	Curtis Maloney