[Zope] Zope Versus Enhydra Comparison article

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:10:19 +0000

Max Møller Rasmussen wrote:

> Ie. if you have trouble understanding the security mechanism in Zope you are
> lost until you understand it.

Not really, you can leave it like it is (where nearly everything is
anonymously accessible) and build your own ;-)

> If you have trouble with the Enhydra security mechanism, you can allways
> write your own.

I'm sure it's not as easy as that...

> Sometimes you can get stuck in Zope for days, without knowing how to
> proceed,

The documentation is getting a lot better...

> or without knowing how to find out,

How about the mailing lists or the #zope irc channel? I bet both get you
better results than any commercial support you could buy.

> the Zope way. In a commercial setting that is very dangerous when you work
> on a deadline.

Well, if it's really crucial, you _can_ always buy support from DC...

> In a simpler system you have to do more yourself, but you won't be painted
> into a corner as easily, as you can allways do a "hack".

if you know python, there's no reason why you can't do the same in Zope
;-)

> problem. Zope is more closed in that regard. Well anyways when you know
> enough about Zope to make a hack, you probably also know how to do it the
> right way.

Sadly, that's true, but changing I think...

cheers,

Chris