[Zope] Python 2.0 ??????

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:00:52 -0500

> The impression I get from the Zope dev site is that 2.3.0b1 (and possibly
> before the beta) will compile and run under Python 2.0, but I
> haven't tried
> it myself.  Anything 2.2.x needs patches, which I couldn't get
> working right
> after a couple hours of tinkering with it.  Python 2.0 support will not be
> 100% "supported" in 2.3 final, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't
> run.

Yes - 2.3 contains some changes (thanks mostly to Toby Dickenson)
that let it build and run w/o patches under Python 2. Python 2
is still not "officially supported", in that you are on your
own if you run into problems that are Python 2-specific and
2.3 doesn't make use of any 2.0 features (unicode, etc.)

I expect Zope 2.4 to be mainly about moving offically to Python
2 (2.4 will likely require Python 2) and integrating unicode,
etc.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909
Digital Creations  www.digicool.com